Making up your 'call sign'

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Spud

Re: Making up your 'call sign'

Post by Spud » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 pm

The military unit I was flew with was assigned a single callsign (Spud) and then each aviator was given a number to use with it. I was given 60. So, whenever I flew my callsign was Spud-60 . I dropped the number when I came to ACG.
Yes........ I AM what's wrong with the world today....... Deal with it!!

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:30 am

SPUD-60 sir,

I find your callsign somewhat apropro funny in that you're from the Midwest.
If you don't mind my asking, what a/c did you fly?

Obviously not the Me109 ;)

S!
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Raptor

Post by Raptor » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:43 am

Since we are talking about call signs. I got mine in the army. My unit was on a training mission where we were looking for the enemy Tactical Operations Center. When we found it I stuck my head through the tent flap. Much like the velociraptor did to the hunter in the movie Jurrasic park. I have been Raptor ever since.
"Dont just stand there get one up"

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:38 pm

OK so here is my penny's worth on what you call yourself. Firstly the RAF does not have, and certainly not in 1940 have a USAAF callsign culture. I spent two years on a front line Harrier Sqn in the post 'Top Gun' era and there were no Icemen or Mavericks swaggering around the hanger. The only 'call sign' was the one you used on the radio, Blue 3 or Boxcar 1 etc. The pilots did have three letter nicknames made from their real names or nicknames such as BOS (boss), SAM (Flt Lt Samson etc) or BOY (not after Geoff Wellum but because, despite being the RAF official Harrier display pilot, when he took off his helmet he looked about 12!). The commonly used nicknames in the bar were either based on ethnicity, Taf or Jock, appearance, Ginge or Slim (if he was tubby, and visa versa obviously) or surname, 'Chalkie' White, 'Windy' Miller etc. Apart from that it was based on age honoured Public School (that's private school to the Americans, confusing I know but that's the point) nicknames. Therefore if you want a genuine early 1940s tag for the historically accurate hallowed halls of ACG then you should probably reference such works as P G Woodhouse and use 'Chuffy', 'Bingo', 'Kipper' or 'Stiffy'.

I looked through Orbat and there are a few names there that made me wince I'll agree but then again, probable not the same ones that made others wince. I also agree that a real nick name is like your uniform and should be worn with pride. And like your uniform a nick name is not chosen by you but given to you by someone else, is normally itchy and fits where it touches. Here is the point, your on line name IS chosen by you and people arrive at them or with them for different reason. Some simply to separate a virtual world from RL or chosen at some point years ago when a game requested 'your super warrior name' or some such drivel, they panicked and picked the first name that occurred to them and they just continued to use it. Others will have chosen the sort of names that builds their ego such as 'Max Killer' when all their RL mates (well both are no more than acquaintances really) call them 'Spotty'. Both are fine, it's escapism after all. I admit to being a little irritated by the use of actual names such a Galland or Bader but that's my problem not theirs. I would probably forgive them if they were phenomenally good!

I guess I am saying you should be a little carful before criticizing people's on line names, the use of USAAF style callsigns is no more appropriate than others and considerably less so than say Bunny or Robo as I happen to have know RAF pilots with both. I have yet to meet one named after a Roman Legionary and if one tried he would probably end up being called after Pontius Pilate's mate from Life of Brian, what was his name? :D

Malt
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Maltloaf wrote: I guess I am saying you should be a little carful before criticizing people's on line names, the use of USAAF style callsigns is no more appropriate than others and considerably less so than say Bunny or Robo as I happen to have know RAF pilots with both.
Bunny took his name because his real name is Duncan Hewitt, and in 1940 there was a No.501 Hurricane pilot called Duncan "Bunny" Hewitt.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showth ... f-Britain)

Grey

Post by Grey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:09 pm

My call sign at the job is Ferry Taylor; Ferry is the short for my last name (Defer) Taylor came in when they found out I was making up bullshit stories about history when I had enough beers. (it sounds like fairy teller, so..)

Grey is simple: Earl Grey, best cup of tea in the world and my brother was orange juice in our falcon 4 days

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Mine was easy. We've got a lot of these little devils around here in the desert. Have gone on many a hunting trip for 'em.

http://www.desertusa.com/animals/collar ... elina.html
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850P2 PSU, PointCTRL

Krass

Post by Krass » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:26 pm

Mine reflects a deep and inspiring understanding of the joys of biofluids.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Krass
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:06 pm

I never was fond of the Borg method of naming fighter pilots. (Ie I'm 3 of 12), the American rugged individualism fused with humor and wry-wit always captured my Imagination.

Like my friend who flew F-16s and F-15s was given his callsign "Chameleon" by his squad leader because he could blend into the ground clutter and hide from detection. That's cool in my book all day long.

In the made for TV series documentary "American Fighter Pilot", the cock sure bleach blonde young butter bar F-15 squadron recruit was given his name by squad vote because his hair was out of regulations and non-conformant. It was "Merkin" which in a different culture is derogatory name for pubic hair. So much for cool, sequential, or comfortable naming. He turned out to be a good stick and flight leader after almost washing out of training.

Yup there are definitely cultural differences and IMHO makes this multi-cultural mixed bag called the ACG all the more interesting. Now if Blokes get their knickers in a wad over historic callsigns, well all the more funny. It's all good.

Now Osprey, you'd fit right in with the USMC Flyboys
:D

Krass, yours is so dang unique and rhymes with azz. Plus your a noble sob who sticks with his wingmate in a scrap. How could I ever forget you mate.

Mine, BUBI was a kind of self funny (I'm a blonde baby faced dude myself) mixed with respect for the top gun of all time, German bastage or not. He was tops. Even more funny when our own 6./JG26 boys say it as it rhymes with one of my favorite pair of things in this world. Plus Pandion Haliaetus forced me at gunpoint to drop my onomatopoeia callsign because he couldn't pronounce it. And here I thought Brits had a healthy dose of irony built into thier funny bone.
;)

It's all good
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Osprey wrote:
Maltloaf wrote: I guess I am saying you should be a little carful before criticizing people's on line names, the use of USAAF style callsigns is no more appropriate than others and considerably less so than say Bunny or Robo as I happen to have know RAF pilots with both.
Bunny took his name because his real name is Duncan Hewitt, and in 1940 there was a No.501 Hurricane pilot called Duncan "Bunny" Hewitt.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showth ... f-Britain)
Aye, and in true nickname form it was foisted upon me by Osprey when I mentioned in passing that Duncan Alexander Hewitt was known as Bunny...I had a totally different nickname before then! Coincidentally I had a relative known as Uncle Bun, despite his actual name being George.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams