For new starters looking for training

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Boyezee

For new starters looking for training

Post by Boyezee » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 pm

First of all, welcome to ACG :)

This thread is for any new starters that would like some training in IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, maybe you are new to the sim and want help getting in the air? or perhaps you are a previous Cliffs of Dover flyer who needs to knock the rust off and would like a bit of help getting back in the saddle? Either way we can help you.

Whilst Cliffs of Dover isn't overly complex it can be a bit daunting at first to new flyers, but fear not we can get you all set up and shooting down enemy aircraft in no time.

We have a number of members that have volunteered to offer training and they can help you with anything, like mapping controls, learning how to start your aircraft, managing your engine in flight and much more besides.

If you are interested in training please post in this thread which aircraft you want to learn (it could even be multiple types until you find the one you like) and what timezone you are in - for example Europe or North America - and we will find a member to help you. They will contact you either by PM or through this thread to arrange some 1 on 1 time.

We can offer training in all aircraft types that feature in our Squadrons - Hurricane, Spitfire, Bf109 & Bf110

We can also now offer training on the Blenheim courtesy of Meaker.

Current roster of trainers is

RAF

Europe

Mauf
Bully
Dave
Maltloaf
Meaker - Blenheims

North America

Spud
Schmuck
Toxic

Luftwaffe

Europe

Boyezee
Falcon - can offer german speaking as well
Lee

North America

Ruff
Hindsight
LuftAsher - Australia as well
Schmuck
Double
Katt - Bf110 trainer

So please don't be shy, post in this thread if you would like some training, we are a friendly bunch and are happy to help, we were all newcomers at some point :nice:
Last edited by Boyezee on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 9 times in total.

HurstLlama

Re: For new starters looking for training

Post by HurstLlama » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:30 am

I would like, seriously need, and would be grateful for some training on the Hurricane. I think I have gone pretty much as far as I can on my own. I can take off more or less in a straight line, land safely (most of the time) and do some simple maneuvers in slow time without departing controlled flight too often and I haven't blown my engine in quite a while. If someone could and would be prepared to help me make some progress towards being a competent combat pilot I will be very grateful.

I am in the UK and, being retired, am available for lessons at pretty much any hour of the day or, indeed, night.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:08 pm

HurstLlama wrote:I would like, seriously need, and would be grateful for some training on the Hurricane. I think I have gone pretty much as far as I can on my own. I can take off more or less in a straight line, land safely (most of the time) and do some simple maneuvers in slow time without departing controlled flight too often and I haven't blown my engine in quite a while. If someone could and would be prepared to help me make some progress towards being a competent combat pilot I will be very grateful.

I am in the UK and, being retired, am available for lessons at pretty much any hour of the day or, indeed, night.

Hi Hurst,

I'm planing to do some flying tonight as I need to get used to a new stick I've just bought. What time are you planing to be on tonight? I'm more than happy to take you through flying.

Give me a search on Steam No.501_Geordie. Drop me a message when you want a flight. I'll be ready to go from 16:00 until about 21:00
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Geordie, do you read the threads in the forums? Only Boyezee has had a thread on this for ages and thus your name isn't listed above - reply if you want to be listed. Also, you haven't replied to the skins repository thread either, don't make me take the piss out of Newcastle any more than I'm forced to, pleeeeeeese!

@HL, have you watched the Hurricane videos in the Flight School? Regardless someone from the listed blokes will help you out, either they'll arrange something or if you see them on Teamspeak they are duty bound to drop what they are doing and give you help.

~S~

Mauf

Post by Mauf » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:33 pm

I'll be on today, my DSL connection permitting. To best ensure we meet, jump into our TeamSpeak server: http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/teamspeak.php

I'll be around as No.111_Mauf, usually in the RAF channel.

Bully

Post by Bully » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 pm

I can highly recommend Mauf. But I will also be around tonight if he is not. Sometime after 8 uk time.

Spud

Post by Spud » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:45 pm

PM sent.......
Yes........ I AM what's wrong with the world today....... Deal with it!!

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Of course if you would like to start training on British Bombers,then please feel free to ask me,I'll be more than happy to assist you in learning how to fly the Blenheim,as well as teaching you how to bomb aim at high altitude or,precision low level bombing.

If you wish to just brush up on any of the above,then we at Bomber Command,can get you up to speed again,you only have to ask.

Meaks

ACG Bomber Command

:salute:

HurstLlama

Post by HurstLlama » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:55 am

Well I had my first lesson last night and, by the cringe, it was an eye opener I thought I had been getting on quite well but in a few minutes my instructor, Mauf, made me realise just how bad I was and how far I have to go - mind you a combination of nerves (yes, really I was very nervous crazy as it might sound) and other factors meant that I was flying well below the standard I had achieved in single player.

That said, I must emphasise how positive the experience was and how grateful I am to Mauf for being so patient and giving so freely of his time to help me. He taught me some valuable and important lessons that I would never have discovered on my own and without which I now realise I had no hope of progressing to be a decent pilot, and I am talking about some very basic stuff here. I have a lot of practice to do so as to achieve unconscious competence on those basics and to unlearn some bad habits I had taught myself. I am going to be cheeky though and ask for more lessons.

On a general note, I would say that lessons such as I had last night are a must for any new pilot who wants to get the best out of the game. Might I suggest that a link to this thread be placed prominently on the Flight School page of the web site.

Once again my grateful and sincere thanks to Mauf for giving so freely of his time and expertise.

Mauf

Post by Mauf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:22 pm

To say the least, I'm greatly enjoying teaching in the game. And lessons shall continue as I said, I have many more things to teach you^^

During the training, I hope I did not frighten you too much. Problem is though, I like to be straight and direct. People don't improve when you sugar coat things for them so long as one conveys the info nonjudgemental. That's why I have to sometimes dig into the trainee with questions like "what exactly did you do right now" or "shoot your guns, see where you're aiming?". It's nudging people into reflecting. I don't know how well people cope with that but I find it necessary, often poking at many different things till I find the root for why something is not working as intended. Think of the example of putting the crosshair on the horizon and the over-compensation many newcomers do when flying the plane. Without pushing people through these little exercises, I can't tell whether there are errors in the way they handle things.

For the future, expect more exercises that hopefully give you the possibility to judge your own capabilities and on your own train them. The next one coming is a favourite of mine and many newcomers spend quite a while on it^^