Guide: How to Install Normandy

Dedicated to getting the WWII DCS airbourne

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Mesa

Guide: How to Install Normandy

Post by Mesa » Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 pm

There have been a fair few problems for some installing Normandy; I made this tutorial for those who don't feel like using 3rd party software or typing in CMD. Thanks to Bounder and Nitrous for showing me this!

Firstly: If you wish to install Normandy you must download DCS 2.0; this version of DCS is in alpha and is more prone to bugs and crashes however it allows you to have fun with newer features such as the new "Global Lighting" system. It also is a requirement for Normandy, which will NEVER be released on 1.5 (The version most are currently running). I recommend that you visit this link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... rld/alpha/ , and download 2.0 if you do not already have it. (Side Note: If I were you I would download DCS 2.0 EVEN if I do not have Normandy or Nevada as the Caucasian Map that you regularly fly will eventually be moved to 2.0 in the distant future anyway.)

Secondly: YOU MUST BUY DCS Normandy and The Asset Pack is recommended: you may not be able to get on certain servers without the latter. Here is a Link to the bundle pack containing both: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... ck_bundle/

These Modules are Steam Incompatible

Installation

1:
Once you have downloaded DCS 2.0, run the application at least once to set up all of the appropriate folders.
(It may tell you that you do not have any terrains the first few times you run the program: ignore this)

2:
After you have run DCS 2.0 for the first time you must navigate to your DCS 2.0 folder
It should look something like this:
...\DCS(2.0)\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha

3:
Then navigate to " bin ."
your folder address should look similar to this:
...\DCS(2.0)\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\bin

4:
Right click on "DCS_updater.exe" and create a shortcut.
(If you do not see the ".exe" extension, that may be due to the fact your computer is set up to hide known extensions, here is a tutorial on how to change that for Windows XP - 8: https://www.howtohaven.com/system/show- ... orer.shtml
Windows 10 version of that tutorial: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-file ... in-windows)

5:
Right click on the shortcut you created and click "Send to Desktop."

6:
Now you should have a shortcut on your desktop called "DCS_updater.exe -Shortcut"
right click on it and click "properties"

7:
Under the tab that says "Shortcut," navigate to the field that says "Target:" and type "install WWII-ARMOUR" (without quotations) to the right of " .exe" " (which will keep its quotations) (don't forget the space between the " and W,) then click apply and run the shortcut.

8:
You will get this window:

9:
Once finished right click on the shortcut on your desktop called "DCS_updater.exe -Shortcut" and press "properties"

10:
Then under the tab that says "Shortcut," navigate to the field that says "Target:" and type "install NORMANDY_terrain" to the right of " .exe" " (don't forget the space between the " and N,) then click apply and run the shortcut.

11:
Run your shortcut.

12: Once finished you may play!

Mesa :salute:
Man loves liberty, even if he does not know that he loves it; he is driven by it and flees from where it does not exist.

Men have no special right because they belong to one race or another: the word man defines all rights.

No me pongan en lo oscuro a morir como un traidor:
yo soy bueno, y como bueno
moriré de cara al sol.

―José Martí

Vukac
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Re: Guide: How to Install Normandy

Post by Vukac » Mon May 29, 2017 9:48 pm

Yes I did this two or three times.Everything is OK now.
:salute: :B: :nice:
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gromic » Tue May 30, 2017 8:48 am

Not to sound like a dick but it's alot less work if you install it using the command console.
Open explorer, maneuver to your installation directory, type cmd in the path field at the top and hit enter. The command prompt will then open with your installation directory already opened.

To install the individual modules all you have to do is type

DCS_updater.exe install NORMANDY_terrain
DCS_updater.exe install WWII-ARMOUR
32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron

Woop

Post by Woop » Tue May 30, 2017 11:52 am

Hello all,

I have had lots of issues with the loading. I find it freezes and crashes after about a minute of loading. It worked a few times, but most of the time it just freezes up and won't let me play. I usually give it lke 2-3 minutes to load, not clicking anywhere else and not tabing out or anything, but it usually just stays on the loading screen forever.

I have run the repair process a few times, updated graphics drivers and installed all windows updates. I think I'll reinstall the whole thing today.

My system:
Intel i5 processor
GeForce GTX 760 gpu
8 gigs of RAM
Win7 64bit

Mesa

Post by Mesa » Tue May 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Gromic wrote:Not to sound like a dick but it's alot less work if you install it using the command console.
Open explorer, maneuver to your installation directory, type cmd in the path field at the top and hit enter. The command prompt will then open with your installation directory already opened.

To install the individual modules all you have to do is type

DCS_updater.exe install NORMANDY_terrain
DCS_updater.exe install WWII-ARMOUR

That did not work w/ my installation; this is an alternative.
Man loves liberty, even if he does not know that he loves it; he is driven by it and flees from where it does not exist.

Men have no special right because they belong to one race or another: the word man defines all rights.

No me pongan en lo oscuro a morir como un traidor:
yo soy bueno, y como bueno
moriré de cara al sol.

―José Martí

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Woop wrote:Hello all,

I have had lots of issues with the loading. I find it freezes and crashes after about a minute of loading. It worked a few times, but most of the time it just freezes up and won't let me play. I usually give it lke 2-3 minutes to load, not clicking anywhere else and not tabing out or anything, but it usually just stays on the loading screen forever.

I have run the repair process a few times, updated graphics drivers and installed all windows updates. I think I'll reinstall the whole thing today.

My system:
Intel i5 processor
GeForce GTX 760 gpu
8 gigs of RAM
Win7 64bit

Patience o Padewan...

The DCS software runs a whole lot of background work the first time you load new maps.... this can take a good while (more than a couple of minutes). Have dinner or something... when you get back it should be done.

P.S. Don't wolf your food down... that won't help and may cause heartburn and/or indigestion. :geek:

Archangel
"Never argue with an idiot - they only drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience" (Unknown)